The most iconic swim of the year, one of only 2 channel swim events (excluding Cook Strait) in New Zealand, the other is the Kapiti Island to Mainland Swim
For many swimmers the high-point of the season - build up to its 4.6km distance and join 400 other swimmers as they make their way from the Rangitoto wharf to a big welcome at St Heliers. We arrange a ferry to take you from the city to the island.
When and where
Date: Sunday, 06 March 2022
Assemble: TBC am outside the Maritime Museum on the corner of Quay St and Hobson St
Embark: TBC am on Fullers’ ferry at ferry terminal on Quay St. Sail for Rangitoto and arrive 8:30 am.
Start time: 10:00am
Tide: 11:15 am
Nominal cutoff time: 2.5 hrs
Prize giving: Vellenoweth Green, St Heliers Bay
Rangitoto Island is a predator free zone administered by DOC. Ensure that your clothes/luggage is free of pests before you embark.
A van will be provided to transport swimmers bags from the registration to the finish.
Essentials only on the ferry please
We will not allow luggage in excess of this on the ferry.
Excess baggage must be surrendered prior to boarding the ferry and It will be transported directly to the finish.
If you have a pressing special reason for needing to take more luggage please contact us before the event.
For the Rangitoto Swim you must have already swum the Chelsea Swim or an equivalent distance (2.4km) in open water.
If you are over 12 and under 16, you will need to confirm your parent or guardian consent when you enter
ACM has the right to decline any applicant if there are significant doubts about the entrant’s ability to complete the course
For slower swimmers we have implemented a policy of transporting swimmers back up to the pack to reduce the spread, if you are asked please assist with this otherwise you will be asked to leave the water.
Entry fee and conditions
- The entry fee is $90
- By entering the event entrants acknowledge the terms and conditions of entry.
- Enter the 4.6km Rangitoto Swim using your credit card through our secure server. You will receive confirmation of your entry by return email.
- If you wish to withdraw before the event your registration fee will be refunded only if written notice of your withdrawal is received by the organiser at least one day before the event. An Administration Fee of $20 will be charged for withdrawal.
- If the race is cancelled because of bad weather please note that your registration fee will not be refunded.
- Online entries close midnight on the Thursday before the race.
- Late entries are subject to the availability of space on the boat.
- Late entries will be processed at the Late entries Desk outside the Maritime Museum on the morning of the race. NOTE that final acceptance of late entries is subject to the availability of ferry seats.
- The cost of a late entry is $110 and will be collected on the day if and when ferry seats are confirmed.
Prizes and trophies
There will be a spot prize draw for all those present at prize giving including a top spot prize of a wetsuit kindly provided by Swim T3
- Molloy Shield and miniatures for fastest male & woman non-wetsuit swimmer
- Eagle Rangitoto Cup and miniatures for the fastest wetsuit swimmer male & female.