A 2.4km true cross-harbour swim from Masefield beach at the foot of the Harbour Bridge to the historic Chelsea Sugar factory.
When and where
Date: Sunday 23 February 2020
Assemble: 6:00 am Pt Erin Park (by the Pool), Herne Bay
Start time: 7:30am
Tide: 8:23 am
Nominal cutoff time: 1.5 hrs
Prize giving: Chelsea refinery, 60 Colonial Road, Birkenhead
From Masefield Beach (bottom of Curran St) to the Chelsea sugar refinery. Total distance is 2.4km.
FORMS TO DOWNLOAD
Download Wai Wai Shield and Molloy Shield information HERE
Download Wai Wai Shield and Molloy Shield Manual Entry Form HERE
We will provide a van to carry your bags from the start to the finish.
During prize giving, please let other swimmers know if you can give them a lift back to the start line. Please make yourself known if you need a lift back.
For the Chelsea Swim you must have undertaken appropriate training including time swimming in open water.
If you are over 12 and under 16, you will need to confirm your parent or guardian consent when you enter.
ACM has the right to decline any applicant if there are significant doubts about the entrant’s ability to complete the course.
For slower swimmers we have implemented a policy of transporting swimmers back up to the pack to reduce the spread, if you are asked please assist with this otherwise you will be asked to leave the water.
Entry fee and conditions
- The entry fee is $50
- By entering the event entrants acknowledge the terms and conditions of entry.
- Enter the 2.4km Chelsea Swim online using your credit card through our secure server. You will receive confirmation of your entry by return email.
- If you wish to withdraw before the event your registration fee will be refunded only if written notice of your withdrawal is received by the organiser at least one day before the event. An Administration Fee of $20 will be charged for withdrawal.
- If the race is cancelled because of bad weather please note that your registration fee will not be refunded.
- Online entries close midnight on the Thursday before the race.
- The cost of a late entry on the day is $70.
Prizes and trophies
There will also be a spot prize draw for all those present at prize giving.
The following trophies are awarded through the Ponsonby Amateur Swimming and Life Saving Club.
Competition for these trophies is open to registered members of recognised swimming clubs, registered surf club swimmers and recognised School groups aged under 25 years. Wetsuit wearers and late entries are not eligible.
Osborne Cup for fastest female non-wetsuit.
Mazzoleni Cup for fastest male non-wetsuit.
These trophies were first presented in 1939 and 1979 respectively.